Thursday, November 22, 2007

The amount of blogs out there giving advice to bloggers is amazing. All these so-called 'experts' giving all this advice.

Let me tell you something of a small secret: I've been online since before what is now the Internet took off. I started on BitNet, which was the university kludge system that attempted to mimic what the military had. My cousin was on the committee that decided to privatize NSFnet, the basis of today's internet (btw, James J Exon had far, far more to do with creating the internet than Mr Enviromentalism who only put his signature on the bill as a cosponsor).

So, what's the point of the 'establishing credentials' schtick? Simple: I've been around for a darn long time and here is my advice to bloggers: ignore advice.

The sites I administer for work are rated something like 2 million + in Alexa. But, when you are looking for information on the City of Omaha, we have the official page. When you are looking for the Douglas County Sheriff's office, we have the official page.

Page ranking and all that jazz may soothe your ego, but if you provide real information, you will be found.

Now, if you may notice not very many people probably come here, because I don't advertise like a mad fiend like most bloggers. Frankly, I don't care. I'm doing this more to vent and if people find this site, great. That's one reason why I don't have comments enabled. It's similar to why Rush Limbaugh hardly ever has a guest interview on the radio: his show, and thus like my blog, is about the person who is hosting. I know this may seem a bit selfish, but why taint my page with views I may or may not agree with? I just can't see it. It also opens up to flamewars, something I am really, really sick of in my life.

So, I suggest bloggers stop attempting to have their rears kissed by the adoring public and just do what comes naturally - writing, pontificating, etc.