Wednesday, February 12, 2003

A great man is in the hospital today...

My great uncle, Charles Maier, went into the hospital last night. He has a blocked small intestine, and is in quite serious condition. According to his sister, my grandma, he had this sort of thing twice before when he was young and almost died both times. Unfortunately, he's getting on in age so the doctors are not sure he's going to make it past number three.

Uncle Charles served in the US Marine Corps during World War II. He fought in the Pacific, and was one of the few of his unit to return from the attack on Iwo Jima. After the war, he settled down in Omaha, married his wife Betty, and became president of Sieg Nebraska Co eventually, an auto parts supplier based in Omaha.

Uncle Charles was always an inspiration to me. He was the one who turned me onto politics, when he and grandma would get into political arguements (grandma's a Truman Democrat, Uncle Charles voted for Reagan in 1976, let alone 1980). He was the one who inspired me to read up on World War II, and from there I went even farther back, developing a love of history, of non-fiction writing, and the like. My parents made him my guardian in their will until I reached the age of majority.

He loves golf, a sport which I am horrible at, and after he retired went to help out a golf course every so often. He's a big Nebraska football fan, and like me is disappointed at the way the season went. He does smoke and drink, but I can easily look past that.

I love you, Uncle Charles. Get well...please. For me.

No comments: