Friday, July 25, 2008

Disaster recovery plans. Everyone has them. Even the incompetent boobs at FEMA have them.

Except my company.

This is what you get when the people in government have their priorities all screwed up. As you may or may not know, I work for a merged city-county IT department...who can't get along with itself, let alone with the customers some days.

It's time for me to vent a little on this, as I'm just tired of saying 'I told you so'. This is not rocket science we are talking about here, this is about data recovery in the case of a disaster. You know, like a tornado blowing through the center of town, etc.

Let's add to that data integrity issues as well. I've been working for three weeks to find a way to convert an old postgresql database into the db2 format needed to run the java application built to replace my little, poorly designed php application. Not possible. The data is too mucked up in my system, combined with the idiosyncracies of DB2. Thus, the solution is data entry.

Between the two areas, my mental state is fractured.

At least in 2 weeks, I'll be in Las Vegas at DefCon 16, on a 'business trip' that I get to pay for myself...because my company is too cheap to do so, even though I'm the guy who has to defend our web servers and applications from the Chinese.

Detect a little bitterness? Naw, couldn't be...

No comments: